Thursday, June 01, 2006

Not in DC Part 2 OR An Homage to Sonic



(To the tune of Mandy)

Oh Sonic
You came and you brought me a burger
And a Cherry Limeaide
Oh Sonic

I grew up across the street from a Sonic and it really is true. You don't know what you have until you've lost it!! The nearest Sonic to Arlington is in Virginia Beach. When Jenny was doing A Year With Frog and Toad at Virginia Musical Theatre she learned the glory of the Sonic Drive-In!

As you can see it is a drive in restaurant. You pull up, look at the menu and push a little button. Minutes later an underage girl delivers your food to your car (that part was a lot more fun when I was also underage!!) Some places still have carhops on roller skates.

They really do have the best hamburgers you can get in a fast food setting. On my vacation I have tried to go to Sonic at least once a day. I AM NOT EATING THERE ONCE A DAY but I get a soda there quite often.

The fountain drinks are another one of Sonic's wonderful perks for several reasons. In the style of the old soda fountains they have an assortment of flavors to add to your soft drink. I was drinking Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper LONG before Dr. Pepper thought about bottling it! They also have great ice. Its a soft pellet ice that is fantastic. Perhaps best of all (and very unique) they use Styrofoam cups!! You may think I'm weird but soda just tastes better from Styrofoam!

As you can tell I LOVE SONIC and what I think is cruel is that though there aren't any for hundreds of miles they still play the commercials on cable. I think its mean to play with my emotions by getting me excited about an Ocean Water Slush by showing one on TV and then I have no where to get one!

Still to come: Braums Ice Cream and a special edition about taco places!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Munsen said...

Hmmm. Sonic, never thought you would write a blog about not having Sonic in NoVa. **Note the sarcasm**

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also say I HEART SONIC! It's true there is something about having a Diet Coke with Lime out of a Styrofoam cup that just makes it taste better. It does, I can't stand a fountain soda from any other place. Most of the ice is the soft pellet ice but I can tell you exactly which sonic to go too to get the even more amazing SHAVED ICE. Like you get in the hospital. I've been known to drive across town just to get a BAG of it.

Ah yes...

Oh Sonic

You came and you gave me a foot long and an order of cheese tots

Oh Sonic.

That footlong gave me just indegestion, but I keep coming back.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I know there is a Sonic in Hampton... ok it's not much closer than VA beach but it's a start. For some reason I thought they had them as far north as Richmond though? I'll do some research stops next time we visit Steve's parents, because actually I've never been to a Sonic!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

download web counter
Best Buy Coupon