Saturday, July 19, 2008

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHEER UP!!


Those who really know me well know that my number one pet peeve is a pessimist!

Nothing can ruin a room, a conversation, a mood like someone with a shitty attitude. I just don't see what fun life is if you are never happy with anything. What is the use of always walking around pissed at everything or everybody.

If you have never read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, I highly recommend it. Especially if you have a hard time being happy.

The Four Agreements are summarized below.

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word- Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally- Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions- Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
4. Always Do Your Best- Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

I read this book in college and it changed my life. I have also found that if you don't constantly remind yourself of these four agreements you fall out of the practice of them. While I tend to lose the practice of some more than others number 2 is my favorite and the one that really rang true to me.

What I constantly remind myself is that you can only feel things that you allow yourself to feel. No one can MAKE you feel anything. If you feel guilt, it is because you allow yourself to, not because you are made to feel guilty. Anything you feel is because of you... not another person. When you make yourself immune to the opinions and actions of other you can truly feel what you need to feel.

Whats the point to this entry in my little blog?

---Cheer up! Surely there is always something to be happy about. If not, find a mental happy place or a "mood shifter." I have many but my main ones are Kevin and Karen.

---LAUGH, loud and often!

---Don't let others affect the way you feel. The actions, words and feelings of others have nothing to do with you. You did not cause them and you can not change them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't thought of that book or, unfortunately, its contents in years. Thanks for the reminder.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

download web counter
Best Buy Coupon