Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Jukebox Musical

OK... one of the two major trends right now in musical theatre is the juke box musical (the other being movies onstage) and there are the good and the bad.

I understand that they are not all meant to be "good theatre" and that's fine. Mamma Mia is not what most would call "good theatre" but its fun and it entertains. So they are what they are.

What I want to know is what jukebox musicals people wanna see either for an honest to God good musical or even just for a guilty pleasure. I know one that my best friend and I have always wanted to see is a Neil Diamond Musical... What the hell right??

What do you want to see?

8 Comments:

Blogger STEPHEN GREGORY SMITH said...

Hands down, I have always wanted to see "Dark Lady" the Cher jukebox musical...seriously, if you take the songs from that album, you can come up with a story. I've done it. If only Cher would approve.
Congrats on starting this.
I'll link you when I get home (currently I am at work, pretending to be working)
:)
SGS

2:19 PM  
Blogger rabbit1970 said...

Hey You! I've always thought a Carol King jukebox musical could/would work as a sort of short-story anthology thing. I've also thought about a Depeche Mode one, too, but am not too sure about how to fashion that one, but anyways...

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say either a jimi hendrix musical or a george clinton/pfunk musical. Either one would be pscyhodelically satisfying!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Q 5 Go said...

I have to agree with you all. I really like the Hendrix idea. How crazy would that be?!?!?

12:03 PM  
Blogger SAS said...

This is actually in the movies onstage category: My composer friend got the rights to Heathers years ago. I would have done anything to see that done well. Or even not done well.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Q 5 Go said...

Heathers would be cool!!

I hope the Wedding Singer is pretty good. I think it has potential.

Honestly, I'm willing to give anything a try. Lets face it... who would have thought that Sweeney Todd would have been a good musical?!?! But it is...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know, a Neil Diamond one would be Fabulous! And here latley I've been toying with a Steve Miller Band.

I agree with Stephen, a Dark Lady musical would be absolutley MAGICAL!

-S.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually written a Neil Diamond Jukebox Musical called 'Hello Again'. We're just sorting out the song rights, and are going to produce it in the UK in Jan 2011.

You're all welcome to come along!

Matt

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

download web counter
Best Buy Coupon